A Power Plant Facility. Such a facility requires a Water Permit
Rwanda water resources are under increasing pressure.
We need to use them efficiently, effectively and wisely if we want to build a
sustainable bright future for ourselves and upcoming generations.
In order to do this, we need to know how much water is used, by whom, and where.
Once we know this, we will be able to measure it against how much water is actually
available for use. In some areas we will then find that there is still extra water
that can be made available for use. In other areas we will find that there is
already more water being used than the water resources can provide without
considerable damage to the aquatic ecosystems.
The water law of 2008 gives the Department of Integrated Water Resources the tools
to gather the information that we need for the optimal management of our water
resources. The water permits system is one of these tools.
Why Water Permit?
To manage water resources:
To manage the water resources effectively and efficiently for
optimal beneficial use of water for economic development of
To ensure fair share allocation:
To be able to allocate water, the water resources managers
must know both how much water is available, and
how much is already being used.
To protect the environment:
water resources managers must ensure that water
use is efficient, is well planned, and that
pollution is reduced to a minimum. When
allocating water resources for different uses,
water resources managers have to make sure that
water for environmental flow remains available.
Benefits of having a water permit
Your water use promptly and correctly will
improve your claim to lawful use established
in accordance with water law and related
You will not have to face prosecution for
If you do not have a water permit
you might lose your claim to use water.
If you do not have a water permit, the water resources
managers will not be aware of your use and your place
(abstraction point) may be allocated to anyone because
you are not known
In case of shortage of water, you will have a
priority over those who do not have a permit
depending on priority order in water allocation.
How do I apply for?
- New Permit
- Modification of Permit
- Transfer of Permit
For each Application:
Select a type of Application
Step 2:Fill in the application form given to you
Step 3:Save the filled application form by clicking OK
Step 4:Go back and select the saved application form
Step 5:Attach or upload the required documents
Step 6:Submit your application
NOTE:You will be notified when IWRMD receives your application
- Using water without declaration:
A fine of twenty five thousand(25,000FRW) to a hundred thousand (100,000FRW)
- Using water without an authorization:
A fine of fifty thousand (50,000FRW) to one hundred and fifty thousand (150,000FRW).
- Using water without a concession permit>
Confinement of thirty (30) to sixty (60) days and a fine of a
hundred thousand (100,000FRW) to three million (3,000,000FRW) or either of the two.
- The removal of installations by the offender may be ordered
REQUIREMENTS FOR WATER PERMIT
WATER USERS SUBJECT TO WATER PERMITS
- Owners of irrigation schemes of above 1 ha: authorization
- Owners of water treatment plants for domestic water supply: authorization
- Owners of hydropower plants: authorization
- Owners of industries/coffee washing stations/mining companies getting water from surface water or ground water
- Fish farmers in lakes or ponds: concession
- Construction of dams: authorization
- Any deviation of a water body (lake, river or stream): authorization
- Groundwater abstraction: authorization
- Physical or juridical persons wishing to carry out research in water bodies or exploration of water resources:
- Recommendation letter from related Ministry
- Identification of the applicant
- Site Identification (location, coordinate and map)
- EIA certificate and report
- Application fee of thirty five thousand (35,000 FRS) at NBR, on account no
120-28-26 of FONERWA.
- Registeron our System and fill the application form, attach the
required documents and then submit when done.
NOTES ON FILLING THE APPLICATION
- You can fill and save the application and come back to it later to upload the required documents. Processing
will only start when you submit the application.
- All uploaded documents must be in pdf format and cannot exceed 10MB in size
- The email address you use on the application will be used for any official communication between the Water Department
and the Water User. So please use an email address you check frequently.